Can a Doctor Request an Appointee?

A GP can make a referral to social services and ask that an assessment is made to determine if the client requires an appointee.  For the purposes of an application to the Court Of Protection, a doctor has to complete a medical certificate stating that a person is suffering from a mental disorder and as a result they are incapable of managing their financial affairs. The doctor need not be a specialist in mental health and it is not necessary for the client to be, or have been, a hospital inpatient.